Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Student Loan Reimbursement to pay off Credit Cards?

Posted by flammenberge (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 16:56

Hi, I'm new here, and just looking for some financial advice on what to do. A little background, I'm 25 and work full time, making about $36,000 a year. I'm currently getting my masters degree also.

I have about $15,000 in student loans from my B.S degree, and I'll probably rack up another $15,000 for the masters. I currently have about $4900 (give or take a few hundred) in credit card debt that I would really like to get rid of.

The way my school works is, they approve you for an amount more than needed for tuition, and then basically deposit the excess in your checking account. I don't really have to buy books, so I don't need the extra money for that. I thought about saving the excess from the fall semester to put towards next year, so I wouldn't have to take out more loans, but I wanted to see if paying off CC debt was a more viable option. My new loans will have a 6.8% fixed interest rate in about two years (after I'm finished with the degree and the grace period). My current loan has a 2.8% interest rate.

I'm pretty strapped for cash each month, after rent, car payment, car insurance, cable, electric, cell phone... but I cut corners where I can. For instance, I don't have a landline, which saves about $50 a month. But anyway, I do what I can, sending extra money a month to the credit cards (2 of them), but it's a slow process.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks a bunch!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Student Loan Reimbursement to pay off Credit Cards?

flammenberge,
I've been in your shoes, albeit 21 years ago.
I accumulated about $15K in student loans as well. I paid them off after working full time for a few years. How long have you been working full time? It will be a struggle at first, but it should get easier as you go along. Perhaps a room mate would help lower your monthly espenses?

Financially, it makes since to address the higher interests payments first.
Not sure how much this will help in eliminating any future CC debt though?
You didn't mention your field of study? Anyway, generally a masters degree is a sound investment in your future. I wouldn't let a few grand get in the way of that. Will your employer kick-in some cash towards it?
Just some thoughts.
-jasper

o

I actually did this.

I had about 6k in credit card debt, store charges with 22.9%+ interest rates. I decided to pay those off with my student loan refunds. I calcuated that I would save more than $1,500 a year in interest, plus I have about an extra $300 a month- which now goes to student loans.

However, I have close to 85k in student loan debt. I got my BS- International Affairs and Psychology and MA- Teaching and Technology back to back. So I had no time to pay down my student loans.

Here is a simple way to cut cost of internet and cable. Call and cancel your service and cite some other company can give you a better deal if you start up with them. They won't want to lose your business. I was paying 150 a month for basic cable and high speed internet (need that for work), but after I got it down to 50 a month for the next six months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on How to Save

o

You don't ask ... you don't get.

Almost every one of you won't feel as though the world has come to an end ...

... if they say, "No".

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here