Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mortgage Refi Question

Posted by clg7067 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 14:52

The other post reminded me of a question I've been wondering about for some time.

Would there be less fees if a mortgage is refinanced with the current lender, than if a new lender is chosen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mortgage Refi Question

Hello clg7067,

Much less red tape and paperwork to refinance with your current lender.

However, it would probably be a good idea to ask for quotes from other potential lenders, as you may find a better deal elsewhere.

And even if there are some more ancillary costs currently, over a period of several years, a lower rate of interest elsewhere would more than pay for some extra fees.

Your quotes should include all of the required fees, costs, searches, inspections, etc.

If you indicate to your current lender that you are shopping around, that may sharpen them up a bit - if they dropped their interest rate offer by 0.25%, that would be an appreciable improvement, justifying your investing some time, effort and emotional turmoil into the project.

Sometimes mortgage brokers can be a big help, but one should choose one with the usual care.

I hope that you find a situation that pleases you - not only now, but after three years, as well.

ole joyful

o
RE: Mortgage Refi Question

When I had my home built I had a construction loan. Once the house was done, the same lender rewrote the loan into a mortgage loan. There were some expenses to have that done(maybe bought a point or some other things). Once I had done that, I had what was called an indemnifying loan, which could be rewritten whenever the interested dropped (it was a fixed rate loan), and there was no charge. I had them write it up as 2 loans. One was for a term of ten (maybe 15...its been a while) years, and the other was for 5 years. The 5 year loan had the better interest rate, so I had it written so that I would be making the biggest payment I could comfortably and reasonably afford. I think I had them rewritten once or twice after that due to the interest dropping, though I never had my payment lowered. It just caused me to have them both payed off earlier.

You might ask about information on an indemnifying loan, if you have refinance with the current lender.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here