Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Spender (A&E)

Posted by clg7067 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 14:34

Did anybody see the premier of this show on Sunday (A&E TV)? I just happened to flip into it because I had a sick dog to tend to.

This couple decided to take a vacation by not paying their mortgage for the month. They take home $3000 a month and spend $6000 a month. $800 a month car payment - WHAT? New house. Husband lost his job and they are living on wife's income because he won't take a low paying job.

Yikes! I wonder how much they got paid to show their embarrassing situation on TV!

I never heard of this guy Larry Winget, but he sure gave them a hard time about skipping that mortgage payment for a vacation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Spender

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Spender (A&E)

No, I've missed that one. The reason should crack you right up... we cancelled cable TV last September. We realized we were spending more time "surfing" to see what ELSE was on than we were actually watching any one thing, lol. So... bye-bye cable.

I was actually going to post about the week long feature on Oprah... about the "Debt Diet". I was filled with sympathy for the 3 unhappy couples featured.

But it boils down to the very same thing. Outright denial about the state of family finances, inability/lack of basic, practical knowledge to deal with them, and spending run amok in an attempt to make themselves feel better. So sad and SO unnecessary.

Money makes a wonderful slave, but a terrible master... thanks, OJ! :)

o

I heard about Oprah's Debt Diet and looked it up online.

I was also thinking about canceling cable. The few shows I watch come out on DVD for rental when the season is over - if I'm still interested in watching them after that.

Life without cable. I forgot what that was like. :)

o

There was an Oprah show where a woman had $140,000 in debts between student loans and credit cards. She "came out" about her finances in front of her husnand on Oprah that day. I remember she was crying. I cannot imagine ever getting so far behind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here