Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swiss bonds?

Posted by blakekr (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 14:09

I can't seem to find any information on buying swiss gov't bonds. Canadian? Simple. Swiss? Can't find a thing for some reason ... it must be trickier than it looks. Anyone have some info on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swiss bonds?

There must be a way. Have you spoken to a broker? Go to another one if you're really interested. But I would be cautious right now. The reason: Although interest rates on Swiss bonds may be attractive now, the value of the dollar is very low right now. The dollar is likely to go up in value some time in the next few years, and that increase in the dollar value versus the Swiss franc will hurt your overall return.

It might be better to consider a broadly diversified international bond fund that invests in bonds from many countries other than the US. Some of these funds also have a policy of "hedging" that enables them to reduce the effect of currency exchange rate changes on the overall return, which sometimes works and sometimes fails. Some funds don't do that.

I would not rule out a position in Swiss bonds, provided it is a small portion of your overall portfolio and you have decided precisely the reason for doing it. In that case, if you cannot find a broker in the US who will acquire them for you, take a trip to Zurich and buy them yourself, but make sure you inquire in advance how you will need to pay for them, so you go prepared to do the transaction. And have some fun while you're in Switzerland.

o
RE: Swiss bonds?

you can use your Swiss account with a trading platform and then trade bonds, stock, options etc.
try more information at the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: open swiss bank account

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here