SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

The Hiring Process - slightly OT

jockewing
12 years ago

I hope someone can reassure me that I might still have a chance for this job! I have had 2 interviews with a very well respected company for a job that I really really want. I work as an accountant/auditor and had been working for a bank when it was acquired and my job eliminated. I was driving an hour each way through traffic to get to this job. When it became apparent that my job might be coming to an end, I started putting out resumes and filling out applications.

I found the posting for this job and was immediately intrigued. It is for a very well respected company and most importantly, is located only 5 minutes from my house! No more two hours a day in the car! Two months or more passed between the time when I applied and they finally called me for an interview. Honestly I had pretty much given up hope on the job at that point and was quite suprised when they called.

I did well at the interview and spoke with the person that would be my immediate supervisor and another manager. About two weeks later, I was again called for a second interview to meet with the VP of the finance division. The interview went great and I was given the distinct impression that I had the job. It did not seem like they were considering any other candidates, and the VP was talking as if I already had the job, saying things like "when you are here please feel free to come talk to me at any time", "once you are in the position, don't be afraid to express interest in other areas if something looks like a good fit for you", etc. It was totally a "when you are here" instead of "if you are here". She said she needed to meet with her boss to get all the red tape completed and hoped to see him later that day and stated she'd be sure to get back to me by the end of that week.

The interview was on Monday (July 11) and the end of the week came with no news. I finally e-mailed her at the end of the following week, and she responded that her boss had been out on vacation the whole week and he was supposed to return on the Monday (July 25) that just passed. She stated she would be able to "close the loop" then. Well now it is Thursday and still nothing. As of the Monday coming up (August 2), it will be three weeks since the 2nd interview.

Do companies really take this long to make a decision? In my case I got the very distinct impression that they had already chosen me and the paperwork and red tape just needed to be completed. The lady I met in the 2nd interview implied that the only reason I was meeting with her is because her boss wanted to be assured that I was the right choice. It seemed like she was going to hire me based on the recommendation of the people I met in the first interview. It seemed like the 2nd interview was like a "final approval" meeting rather than a true interview. We were having a great discussion and our meeting went well past the alloted hour. But as each day passes I am getting more and more concerned. What is taking so long? This company does alot of contract work for the government and the lady indicated they were in the middle of trying to put together proposals on 5 different contracts. She stated she and her boss have been working 7 days a week the past several months in order to get the proposals completed. Is it possible they are just too busy and I am not the top priority? If they had decided they don't want me, wouldn't they have just told me by now? People keep telling me just to hang in there. A former co-worker of mine has a brother in law that works at this company. She told me that he had inquired about me and was told that they were planning on making me an offer, but that still hasnt happened!

I have the financial means to survive without a job for a while, but I really am getting bored sitting at home and I can't really enjoy my time off because this is hanging over my head. My main concern is the health insurance, and I was hoping to avoid having to pay COBRA premiums. The biggest issue is this is probably the only company close to my house that pays enough. If this doesn't work out, I will be forced to start looking at those jobs that would force me to drive an hour each way again. It seems like this job is just tailor made to fit my life perfectly and it would kill me if it doesn't happen!

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions