Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question on cd interest

Posted by harveymasons (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 11:23

How could I figure out the monthly yied(interest on my investment) on say a 9 or 6 month cd that is paying 5.35% a year, Lets say for a 25k investment

Am I correct by doing this: 25,000 x .0535 = 1337.50 1337.50/12= 111.45 a month income???

thx in advance,
harvey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question on cd interest

I think you are right, so if you got a 9-month CD you would multiply $111.45 x 9 (or 6 for 6 months)to find out how much you would make. You could also ask the institution who is offering the CD just to verify your math.

o

I agree with the accounting.

That's before thererosion of income by taxes or of the asset by inflation.

o j

o

It might also be figured on a year-basis, then pro-rated over the number of days for periodic posting.

25,000 X 0.0535 / 365 (or 366 if a leap year, or in some cases 360 if that's the bank's policy) X 30 or 31 days in the month.

o

We also need to know if the 5.35 is the simple interest or the compound interest. That would change things slightly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here