SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

business owner doing my own accounting - bad?

kellyeng
17 years ago

I have owned my own business (graphic design) a little over six years now. It's doing great and profits have steadily increased yearly. I have always done my own accounting and taxes using Turbo Tax. I felt my taxes were pretty straight forward, I don't have a lot of deductions: home office, and supplies are really the major ones. I don't advertised for myself, I don't travel, I don't use other professional services and I don't have any employees. I pay thousands in federal taxes but I thought I was doing a pretty good job of accounting until I talked to a couple of other friend business owners recently - they get refunds!

One friend is a GM at a car dealership and he said he received a $2k refund! I know he makes at least $250k yearly, and he has a side photography business (really just a money losing hobby) and he said that he chooses to have the max in taxes taken from his monthly paychecks. Then I have another friend who is a house designer, basically same setup as me with home office and she makes about $60k yearly. her refund was $800! Both said they have genius accountants.

I think I need to look into an accountant but don't even know where to start. Both friends above live pretty far from me so I can't use their accountants. I now feel like I've been cheating myself this whole time.

How do you find an accountant? the car dealer friend said his accountant receives a bonus based on the size of refund he can get. Is this ethical? How do you know your accountant is doing a good job?

Comments (10)