Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curiosity on my part....

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 9:59

I'm wondering how the laws in Canada compare to the laws in the States in regard to bankrupcy and bequeaths. I live in Canada. When my husband died one of my step sons had declared bankruptcy several months before. Everything his father left him went directly to the bankruptcy court. Does the same thing happen in Florida and if so, how long after declaring bankruptcy would this still be the case. My husband, who was very much aginst decalring bankruptcy, would have been so very upset if he had known his son was going to declare bankrupcy and that this was going to happen.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curiosity on my part....

Bankruptcy law is Federal law in the U.S. so whether its Florida or some other state--the result would be the same with regard to inheritance. One of the questions they ask at the first hearing of a bankruptcy case is whether you are going to inherit money, or whether you are involved in litigation or something that would bring money in so that creditors could be paid. So they know at the outset of the case that you might inherit.
It is possible (and highly likely) for the court or the trustee to keep the case open longer than usual if there is a sum of money coming in from any source.
Generally, if your case is closed and you have received a discharge (its all over) and then somebody dies leaving you money the limit is probably 6 months from that date.
And the 727 after my name is a section of the bankruptcy code that describes what happens if they discover you have tried to hide assets.

o
RE: Curiosity on my part....

Thanks for your reply. Can you also tell me how long it usually takes from the first court hearing until you are completely out of it. The person I am thinking to, did inheirit money - substanial amounts, on 2 ocasions, after applying but was completely unaware that this was going to happen

thanks

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here