SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

anyone had trouble getting an Amex card accepted?

I have an Amex card with a very good cashback program, so I try to use it for everything. I've made thousands over the years on it. (I've never had a cc debt)

Recently I noticed something odd at Lowes & Walmart. My Amex card returns a "card not read" error. However, I know the card in fine. This morning, for example, I used it to buy gas 15 minutes before trying to use it at walmart. When I pull out a visa card suddenly the reader is working again. The cards are made by CPI and Oberthur, the 2 leaders in credit card manufacturing, so it isn't as though the Amex could have had some odd kind of defect.

I wonder if, because Amex has higher merchant fees, this is a scam to try to make people give up and use their Visa or Mastercard. The 2nd time it happened at Lowes, I insisted she use my Amex. She had to enter the number, and exp. date as would be expected, but oddly, she also insisted on getting a billing zip and phone number from me, AND entered the CVV code! I've never seen a type-in cc purchase procedure require that. Mail order, yes. I've been a nursery when mail orders were being entered manually, and they have to enter zip & phone if they don't have the card present. Usually if a card won't read at a merchant with a retailer account, they just need to enter the # and exp.

I'm going to call my issuer about this, but I cannot believe at this point that this is an isolated incident. It started happening a little over a month ago.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions