Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prepaid Credit Cards?

Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 8:19

Can anyone shed some light into those animals? What are the things to look for when choosing provider.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prepaid Credit Cards?

They keep a percent every month the card is unused that comes off the balance

o

I was just looking into these cards yesterday. I was thinking about using it for internet shopping at unfamiliar sites. My thinking was that a low limit would reduce my vulnerability.

However I read that some sites won't let you shop with a secured card because they are concerned that you may exhaust your limit. Also, a secured card can damage your credit score if it is reported as a secured card. I don't want to screw with my FICO.

Yes, I read they all have fees and to shop around because fees vary greatly.

o

That smells quite a bit like the "gift cards" that have a fee related to initial use, or per transaction ... or inactivity fee, etc.

Do they keep some staff folks up late nights figuring how they can charge a fee for providing ...

... **nothing**??

Rats!!

ole joyful

o

nycefarm: "They keep a percent every month the card is unused that comes off the balance"

You're confusing prepaid credit cards (which are actually referred to as secured credit cards) with prepaid gift cards. And as a point of fact, even most gift card merchants have gone away from charging an inactivity fee if the cards are not used within a certain period of time.

o

If you're looking for added security for online shopping, you might consider what options you're existing credit card companies offer. I have a Citibank card and they offer "virtual" numbers for online shopping. You can even limit the maximum dollar amount and length of time the number is good for -- all before the transaction even takes place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here