Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tax on gift from parent--?

Posted by demeron (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 29, 06 at 7:55

My father wants to withdraw some money from an IRA to enable me to avoid PMI. (Yes, I feel guilty, but that's another story.) Probably between 10 and 15K. My understanding is, he will have to pax taxes on it taking it out of the IRA, but no penalty, as he is 70. As I understand it, I will *not* need to pay taxes on it if it is less than $12K just to me, or if it is more, he could give a few K to my husband. Am I right?

If I take a home equity loan to avoid the PMI, he could make the withdrawal next year and possible avoid putting himself into a higher tax bracket this year--?

Is this right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tax on gift from parent--?

The tax implications about the IRA sound right, but I'm not an expert on that. The IRS allows gifts of $11,000 per recepient per year with no tax owed (the tax for more than $11K per year is paid by the giver). So your dad can give you $11K and $11K to your husband.

However, since this will be going toward your downpayment, check with your mortgage person and see if your father has to fill out a gift letter. Mortgage lenders want to know that the money is gift and not another loan.

o

Well, the mortgage is already complete. This is a new construction house and we have one opportunity to re-amoratize, presumably when we sell this house (fingers crossed). So there aren't any more hoops to jump through, no second closing.

o

Talk to your tax person, perferably a CPA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here