SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rufusdoofus

Would you chose to pay off this mortgage?

rufusdoofus
15 years ago

I'm 3.5 years into a 15 year mortgage (4.875%). Starting balance $90K. Current balance $54K. Monthly payment $705. Equity in the house against purchase price is $191K. Obviously, I paid extra principle for a couple years. I lost my primary job of 8 years in April 2007. I'm able to live OK (for now) on a secondary job (which I've had for 24 years, has been what would be considered "part-time" for the past 9 years) of $20K/year, supplemented with some investment income, and another part-timer helping with a friend's web design business. I can't say how much longer the secondary job may last, as that business is for sale and there's of course a possibility that I wouldn't be carried-along with a sale. It has been up for sale a couple times in the past and there were no takers. I don't think it's very likely to be shut down if there is no sale, but of course I can't say that with 100% certainty either. Perhaps I should consider buying it myself! My savings, including IRAs, totals $256K. It peaked at $268K recently, but the market has dropped. :-(

Upon maturity of a CD couple days ago, I have $88K liquid funds available. $5K of it is tagged for 2008 IRA contribution when another CD matures next week.

Would I be mistaken to pay off the mortgage balance? That'd cut a significant $705 off my monthly "expense" and save considerable interest on the remaining balance.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions