SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

How to get rid of a bad renter with no lease (long)

I have an elderly friend who has 3 apartment she rents. She recently (about 9 months ago) rented a unit to a woman who has been a late pay, sometimes as much as a month.

Last month the renter paid with 2 checks (late), and each was for 1/2 month. One was even post(?) dated...dated a few weeks out. I just found out this eve, that the last check BOUNCED. She asked what I thought she should do.

She said she would like something in writing as she feared the woman would lie and not agree to whatever the terms were. I sugggested we both go and talk to her, and I would be a witness to whatever was said. She said she could not do it this eve, as she was just too upset by it. I understood, as I was infuriated about it myself.

Also she (friend) is intimidated by this woman and thinks she could get quite nasty about things.

In the meantime, a previous wonderful renter has moved back to town, is living with his mother in one of the apartments, and would love to be able to get back in the one, once the bad pay woman vacates it.

Can my friend just say that she no longer wants to rent to her and leave it at that?

My friend is not very acertive, and has little help with matters such as this other than me. She trusts what I say, but is hesitant to ever do anything to upset the applecart.

Please help me help her.

What might a signed piece of paper say? Having her evicted is almost out of the question.

I suggested to her, that she now demand payment in the form of a money order. I suggested she start calling her a few days b4 rent is due, and to get a commitment that it WILL be paid on time. I suggested that for each week it is late, that there will be a $35 penalty.

Suggestions?

TIA

Sue

Comments (40)

Sponsored
More Discussions