SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cartman_gw

Should I liquidate assets to pay off my Credit Card debt.

cartman
17 years ago

Here is the situation I own my own home valued at $800,000. I owe $515,000 on the 1st mortgage with a variable interest rate and $65,000 on a HELOC (the HELOC is also on an APR and currently its at 9% and rising).

I own another piece of property which I am renting. ItÂs valued at $500,000 and I owe $285,000 on the 1st mortgage with a fixed interest rate and $30,000 on the HELOC (the HELOC is also on an APR at 9% and rising).

I have $25,000 in Credit Card debt. The rate at which itÂs being charged is 8.9%

I have $100,000 in liquid assets (i.e., stocks and mutual funds), and $15,000 in cash.

My main goal is to trim the credit card debt. The credit card debt is at a fixed rate of 8.9%, but is the interest is not deductible. The HELOC is adjustable and probably going to go up before it goes down. What should I do? Besides borrowing more, should I sell stocks or use cash to pay off the credit card debt and both HELOCÂs, or just pay off the credit cards and keep writing off the interest each year.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions