SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashli_gw

Help!! Question about Medicare, etcs.

ashli
14 years ago

My husband was on SSDI for about six years...They encourage? you to go back to work...His work is mostly a sit-down job, answering the phone... Last Fall, the Social Security office called and said that he was making too much money...He told his boss and he said that he would try to find someone to work one of his half days in his place....guess noone wanted to work for just a few hours...Last Fall,I was encouraged by someone at our local Social Security office to apply for wife benefits...

I received a March and April check...thinking that since living expenses went up in 2009...that everything was fine, and my husband's payroll checks of $229.00 a week was ok.

Then, our world fell apart...Last month, May, we got a letter from Social Security stating that our checks were stopped. Permanently. And worse than that...They are saying we owe them and need to refund...almost $32,0000 to them!!

Saturday, we got a bill for $385.00 from Medicare...It's out-of- pocket-pay now...Do you know of any way to turn for help to pay this?

My husband pays almost $400.00 a month insurance premium to where he used to work for almost 35 years...It is suppose to pay 80% for medical expenses...and Medicare would pay the rest of the bill (usually) I am also listed on his insurance record...I could take my name off his insurance and make the payment much less than the $400.00 a month...leaving me without any insurance.

Is this suggested? Probably no choice.

And adding much more misery...He went to apply for Retirement Benefits... For some reason, they have him listed as being born in 1943!...and he was born in 1942...asked how that could happen...SS just said, "We make typos too."

And adding triple misery...My husband's name is not listed on his birth certificate!!

We are trying to get enough information about his real date of birth...He wasn't in the military, he never voted, and his school records were destroyed when the school he attended (first grade)...burned.

After we accumulate any records to (hopefully) prove his real age...we will take them to Vital Records Unit in Atlanta...Anyone know how long a wait for that we may be facing?

Warning: Don't wait until your elderly to check your birth certificate!

My husband is a diabetic and has to see a doctor because of nerve damage in his feet and the Medicare Insurance paid for that...

Is there any help out there...where do we turn? what's the first step in helping him keep his medicare Insurance?

It seems very likely that one of his insurances will have to be stopped

I sure don't want to ask for food stamps or any help like that.

It's like one step forward, then two steps back...and the important thing is to keep stepping...

But I'm very discouraged and don't really know what to do.

Any advice is much appreciated. (good or not so good)

Thank-You.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions