Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

a neverending story?

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 04 at 18:03

This is an update on my "my fault, any hope?" post of May 12 this year. It's not a happy ending -- maybe not even an ENDING at all, but here it is:

SIL prepared our taxes that year on a computer he still owns but doesn't use. He went to the trouble of booting it back up, only to find that the program he used didn't automatically save.

So I called the number [not toll-free] given on the letter and explained the situation, adding that DH and I had filed and paid state taxes for 33 years. He broke into my tirade saying, "Get your employer to send you a copy of your W-2 along with your husband's. Send a copy to us and we'll take it from there."

Employer took a long time to send the W-2s [Mem. Day weekend]and sent ME someone else's with the same last name. Time was running out on the 30-day limit, so I sent the taxation dept. both copies with an explanation and a promise to send the correct one as soon as it came.



The original letter said we owed $144.

I will send the state dept. of taxation a check for what it says is the "total amount due," $49.52, but I want to send a protest along with it.

How did they arrive at these dollar amounts? Why does the letter state only DH's SS and not mine?

I feel totally powerless, completely clueless, and very much afraid that this is only the beginning.

What would you do in this situation? chery-va

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: a neverending story?

According to the state's website, your state tax agency has a Taxpayer Rights advocate. That person can suspend any process while your claim is under review. My advice is, call the department for more information about that service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Taxpayers Rights & Advocate info

RE: a neverending story?

I would just pay the $49.52 and forget about it. I can't see how that amount is worth your or anyone else's time and trouble. The fact that the bill says "total amount due" means that paying it will close the matter.

RE: a neverending story?

I hope that's true, but a lot of documents like that in Indiana say something to the effect of, "additional tax may be due if an error has been made." But I guess at least the $49.52 would be a down payment on whatever they later decide you owe, if it's true that they can come back and ask for more.

I think I'd just pay it unless you honestly believe you don't owe it.

RE: a neverending story?

I would pay it and keep the paper work..forever.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here