Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
auto insurance

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 16:12

why do people not change insurance companies to save a few bucks. i had 2 teens so my premium was huge. 1 dropped off onto his own policy and the 2nd is not a big hit. we have changed companies 3 times in last 8yrs or so? we have 3 cars, 3 drivers. premium is 1600/yr. home ins is 900/yr. so 2500 total which is not chump change. got new quote and auto is 1200 and house is 900 so i save 400 which is nice. current company was sourced by me, no agent. did it all online. never had a claim. so why would i hesitate to get new coverage online as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: auto insurance

What's your basis for thinking people do not shop around for more favorable insurance rates?

o

"why do people not change insurance companies to save a few bucks"

Who says they don't?

o

i think a lot of folks do not change their insurance companies because it is a hassle. time consuming. ok, i got a quote for $93/month. said i had car A. today i gave them my driver license number and quote is now $103/month. same car, clean record. they said a verbal quote without a DL or vin can lead to miscommunications on quotes. hmm. interesting.

o

There's benefits to sticking with one company that sometimes (depending on the company) go overlooked. Accident forgiveness being one of them. Some companies will offer to forgive your first at fault accident after so many years. Protects your level of preferred driving discounts. I can quote you till the cows come home but if I don't have your vin number (s), and permission to pull your credit and run your driving record as well as your loss history, it's not worth it to you. There are many things that go into a quote. We don't just look at a chart for a rate. Review your discounts and payment options in your original quote, something will be missing or have changed. If not, go to the source and ask why the difference.

o

I don't shop around. I have only had two insurance companies in my life and been satisfied with both, why should I change to something I might not like. We had the last insurance for over 40 years. We had a huge hail storm go through our city two years in a row. The claims agents just wrote us a check for the damage. Everyone else I know of only got a deposit on the work and paid the balance when the work was done.

o

Since you asked, we'd never consider switching companies. Our insurance is with a small company that only insures drivers with excellant driving records. We've been with them--oh, 15-20 years now.

Before you assume I've got my head stuck in the sand, from time to time, I've checked other insurance companies, including a lot of those 'discount' companies. Other years, I've had my agent (yes, we do use an agent--it's the best way to get the best service, we've found) check to see if there's any company that would be cheaper. We've never been able to find ANY insurance company that's even close to ours. They're all (even those highly touted discount places, and the 'members only' ones) SEVERAL hundred $$$ higher than what we pay.

There's no reason to change IF you know you're getting the best price, best service and best value.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here