SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

How to educate college son about loans?

jlsch
15 years ago

I am a single mother with one college age son. He just finished his first year of college. I was able to help him with much of his first year, but he still has $3,500 in student loans. (I had that much after 4 years in college!) I am feeling that at this point my money should be going toward my own retirement savings and paying down my mortgage (have a 30 year mortgage taken out when I was 46 years old...and don't plan to retire at 76....). Subsequently I planned to provide very minimally for him in the upcoming college years. My son is working construction this summer and had been told he would work 40-50 hours/week. However when it rains, which has been a lot lately, he doesn't work, so this has turned out to be more like 25-30 hours/week. Hopefully this will change. In any case, he went ahead and took out a loan for a motorcycle and now has an additional $2,800 in debt. From the time I first worked at 16, I've always been very frugal and conscientious about paying off debt so I have lots of concerns about how to convince him of the pitfalls of acquiring debt in such a cavalier fashion. I'm feeling frustrated and concerned about this....any thoughts on how to drive home the repercussions of his decision...or should I just let it go and let the school of hard knocks do what it will.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
More Discussions