SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Disputing credit report?

jamie_mt
20 years ago

I have another question for you wise people...I pulled a separate credit report from each agency (all three web sites said disputes would need to accompany a report from *thier* agency, so merged reports wouldn't work), and found that my Experian report is *totally* screwed up (the other two are fine). My dad and I have very similar names (I'm Jamie, he's James, and he doesn't have a middle name/initial), so his name, SSN, addresses (home and business), and accounts are all on my credit report, along with my own stuff, and his joint accounts with my mom. Obviously, I need to dispute over half the report - so I'm trying to decide whether to send one letter to dispute all the "wrong" things (accounts, SSN, names, addresses, etc), or send one for the wrong accounts, and one for the personal info.

I've read that handwritten is sometimes better, as they could think you're a "professional" if you type it out. But honestly, I'm not going to use a "form" letter (I have a couple just to make sure I include all necessary information), and that's a lot of handwriting, so I am going to type the letter. And I'll send it certified mail, return reciept, because I've gotten screwed over too many times with mailing correspondence without it.

So any ideas how best to go about this? Would it be better to dispute the personal information first, and then the accounts if fixing the personal info doesn't automatically remove the wrong accounts? Or should I dispute the whole thing at once, or just the accounts? Any ideas?

Comments (15)