Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm new (sort of) with refi/tax question

Posted by lindy_444_2009 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 11:08

Hello ... haven't posted at That Home Site in a few years ... thanks in advance for your replies ...

My husband and I just refinanced our house and cashed out some equity to pay off credit card and auto loan debt. Yay, it is good to be free of that! My question is whether the equity we took out (about $50,000) will be taxable income for 2009.

Lindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm new (sort of) with refi/tax question

Lindy,
No... its debt, not income. You don't get to "keep it"... you have to pay it back (but you do get to deduct the mortgage interest, most likely.)

NOW... keep those credit cards zero-balanced from here ;~)

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o
RE: I'm new (sort of) with refi/tax question

Yeah, don't use those cards. If I had to give one reason alone why I am so financially well off it is because I kept us out of debt. Car and home were the only long term debt we had and we bought wisely and paid off early than we had to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here