SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onward_upward

Life Insurance quote doubled. Need advice.

onward-upward
17 years ago

Here's my situation:

I am 38YO male. I went on insure.com and requested a quote for $750K life insurance-20yr term policy. The best quote came from an company that quoted me around 450/yr. Sounded good. Got a call from the agent who scheduled me with a paramedical who came by, asked me questions, drew blood and took a urine sample. For some reason, the first urine sample was inconclusive and the paramedical came back again for more urine.

Anyway, I got a letter and was approved for the insurance but at a different premium, $950. The $450 quote was for prefered plus non-nicotine. At $950, my quote is for preferred non nicotine, i think.

I called the agent right away and she told me that my cholesterol was high and had high liver enzyme levels. Everything else is ok. I told her this sounded like a bait and switch. I think I'm in good (not great shape). I'm not overweight, don't smoke, don't drink, both my parents are still alive, siblings too, and I try to run every other day. (Possible neg=I'm Hispanic).

I'm pretty confident I'm not going to drop dead in the next 10-15 years since I see my doctor regularly and, in fact, she saw me a couple of days before the paramedical drew blood. Again, she said I was fine (low BP, too). I feel great (does that count).

I told the agent that I was not going to accept that quote. She mentioned I had a 30 day right of dispute and she was sending me a form to fill out. She said she was going to have an underwriter call me to discuss my test results.

I'm thinking I can get my doctor to corroborate my side of the story. What kind of options do I have? I'd like to make it uncomfortable for this company for pulling these kinds of tactics.

This was the lowest quote of all the companies, so perhaps they're a little shady. For all of you with insurance experience, what can I do to have this reversed? Should I go with another company?

Comments (2)