Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Filing Back Taxes

Posted by momtotwo__2 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 23:56

I'm very concerned for a close friend of mine. He has ADD really badly and has procrastinated filing taxes for the last several years. He has wanted to do it, but is worried sick because he doesn't have the money to pay the taxes and penalties that he owes. He is not trying to be dishonest, but is truly concerned about the money that he will owe and knows that it is continuing to add up. Does the IRS put people in this situation on a payment plan? How do they handle it? He cannot continue to go on like this and doesn't want to.
He is losing sleep and it's really affecting his life.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Filing Back Taxes

There's a wealth of information simply by Googling 'filing back taxes'. Would be wise for your friend to get ALL his papers together since he stopped doing his returns and hire a tax professional - simply to have an advocate when dealing with the IRS. And yes, even though the IRS can't distinguish procrastination from evasion, they are generally pretty open to working with people and setting up payment plans, etc.

However, with your friend's ADD, you or someone will have to do some hand holding to make sure he sticks to the repayment schedules, etc. The IRS is accommodating - but only to a point.

RE: Filing Back Taxes

The first step is to get the back taxes completed and filed.

If he lives within a reasonable distance to an IRS office, I suggest he take the returns to that office. The IRS employees can help him set up a multiple year payment plan.

Also, if making the payments is a concern, the IRS will debit the monthly payment from his checking account, if authorized to do so.

RE: Filing Back Taxes

I know from expereience with un-filed tax returns, if you come forward it's better. Get your records together, file the back taxes. You can request they waive the penalties and interest, because of personal problems like health or frequent job changes or moving around or inability to obtain records, etc. And when you know the sum total of what you owe, the IRS will accept monthly partial payments of whatever you can pay. When you file, pay as much as you can and include a letter showing how you plan to pay the balance. I owed about $4000 and they let me pay $400 a month out of my checking account.

RE: Filing Back Taxes

IRS interest and penalties can make your local loan shark's rates look good. On the bright side, the IRS would much prefer your money to putting you in jail and won't send anyone to break your legs. After all sitting in a federal prison costs the government money so they're more than happy put you on a payment plan.

Your friend should hire a tax pro and get his returns filed. If he had a diagnosed medical condition, a letter from his doctor may help convince the IRS to waive penalties and/or interest charges.

Not filing is evasion and that's how they got Capone. ;-)

RE: Filing Back Taxes

Encourage him to get a pro, and to act now.

It can only get worse, in all arenas.

Remind him of the "removing a Band-Aid" tactic--pull it off fast, it'll be over sooner.

And in his case, it'll never hurt LESS by waiting!

i wish him luck.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here