SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dockside_gw

Time and Material

dockside_gw
11 years ago

I need people's input here. The pump in our pond stopped workng and I called a company, located in a town about 15 miles from where we live (we live in a city of about 33,000) on the recommendation of a tradesperson who works in the same type of business. The man answering the phone said they worked on time and material, but not to worry because their employee was very good and a fast worker. I said fine, send him out.

He arrived this morning at 8:15 (didn't call first and DH wasn't home to tell him what was wrong). DH came home about 5 minutes later. He looked at the pump, said we needed a new one, and had to drive to another town, about 8 miles away to get it. Came back and installed it. At 10 a.m. he gave me a bill, charging 3 hours for labor, plus the pump. I objected, saying he had been at our house for less than 2 hours (actually only worked for less than an hour). He said that he showed up at his place of work at 7 a.m., checked the sheet for where he was supposed to go, gathered his tools, etc., and drove to our house (about a 20 minute drive). I said that, had I been told that I would be charged for time he spent at the shop, checking in and getting ready to come to our house (and who knows what other places after he left us) and driving to and from the place where his shop was located, I would have called someone else.

He took an hour off his bill to make me happy. (And, to make matters worse, he called this pump supply place before going to get it to make sure they had it and told DH that it would be about $40 less than he actually charged us for it).

I can maybe understand him charging for the time he drove to get the pump but that first hour really rankles me. Is this usual? Or, was I out of line? I don't pay appliance repairmen for time they spend in their shop. I am just billed for the time they spend in my home, repairing an appliance.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions