Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planning toward retirement

Posted by palomalou (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 16:10

Among the things I've been doing to prepare for retirement in approximately ten years is completing retirement calculators. One question they all ask is how much rate of return you expect to earn on your investments. Is there any kind of ballpark reasonable % to guess? I've been going with 3% on the theory that it's best to be conservative--but I don't even know if that's conservative! Any expert, please speak up. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planning toward retirement

The expected rate of return and the expected rate of inflation are the two bugaboos of these financial planning software kits. The "expected" rate of return depends on your asset allocation -- percent in stocks, bonds and cash equivalents, is of course an average over up to 20 years, but the yearly rate will fluctuate.

If you invest very conservatively (very little or no stocks and mostly in bonds and case equivalents) your rate of return will be low, you will have less volatility from year to year, but you may run out of money if your nestegg's return does not exceed inflation rate. So you need stocks because they appreciate more than inflation ON AVERAGE OVER MANY YEARS -- the last few years are of course an exception.

Another benchmark the gurus talk about is that you should spend no more than 4% of your nestegg the first year of retirement, and then give yourself a small "raise" of, say, 3% per year to compensate for inflation. That's supposed to be a "self-sustaining" spending rate, one that will not run out of money when you're too old to do anything about it. Again, the assumption is that your asset allocation is right. AND THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT: How is the economy when you retire? If it's on the upswing, okay. But if your stocks lose money just when you retire, you're in trouble, and the 4% rule won't work, and you could run out of money after 15 years.

To review: the big unknowns are: inflation rate; asset allocation; state of the economy when you retire. You can control asset allocation, getting more and more conservative as you approach retirement, but still keep some money in stocks. How much? That depends on how badly you need your nestegg and how generous you pensions are. Your retirement software, if it's worth anything, should help you decide what asset allocation makes sense for you. The other thing you can control (and should) is the expense of investing. In this respect, I'm a big fan of index mutual funds. They are the cheapest and they take the guesswork out of investing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here