Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Equity Loan question do I do it now or later?

Posted by susans02 (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 15:15

We're putting an addition on our home - total cost will be about $250k but we want to add on $25k for "over costs." Whatever we don't use from the loan after all is said and done will go right back to the bacnk. We are thinking of a 30 year (pay back in 15) plan. We hope to have it paid off well before then so we think we'll be OK. This is the question - construction doesn't start in late Aug-Sept. But the interest rate info has us worried. Do we take out a lona now and put it into a CD or something until then or wait until closer to the project. I know interest will start accruing when we take out the late - but we're nervous that we'll end up with a 8+% rate later in the summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Equity Loan question do I do it now or later?

Gosh - sorry for all of the typos above!

o

You may be better off with a home equity line of credit instead of a loan. You can open this up now, and then when you need it, write a check for it. Once you pay off the principal, it's still there for emergencies or other uses later on.

o

I don't know how it works for additions, but a new home construction loan locks when you take it out, but you only pay on the amount of money that you have outstanding. In other words, you might break your project into 5 stages of $50,000 each. At the start of each stage, you get that much money and start paying that much more interest.

o

I took out a fixed equity loan for 6.49% and put the money and in a money market that pays 4.5% (online bank). This MM is totally liquid, but a CD is not a bad idea if you know you absolutely don't need the money for awhile. I know the line of credit is popular, but at least with the fixed loan, your payment will never change.

o

If the amount of your loan remains the same, and interest rates go up, if your rate goes up (and usually rates on Home Equity Loans are at variable rate) ...

... if the amount of your regular payment remains the same ...

... the duration of time during which you'll be paying it will be extended for a substantial number of years!

As someone suggested, can you arrange for your mortgage amount to be available in portions, at various times, as needed?

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here