SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Insurance -- Pain & Suffering Settlement

chisue
9 years ago

Is there a way to evaluate an offer for this?

My DH was broadsided at a local 3-way stop intersection 18 months ago. He had the right-of-way. The at-fault driver (age 17 and covered by her parents' auto insurance) was ticketed for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident; pleaded guilty in court; paid $280 fine and court cost and was sent to traffic school. I don't know what her father was fined for his expired vehicle license. (I do know he's an attorney.)

Their insurance (Chubb) has paid car rental fees and auto repair of $8K plus $600 for reduced value to the extensively damaged car.

My DH did not suffer lasting physical harm. I drove him to the ER and spent half a day there. He had X-Rays and was sent home, 'merely' rattled, with pain meds for bruised ribs that healed after a few weeks. As the driver, he was slightly ahead of the center pillar that took the brunt of the impact.

It took weeks of phone conversations and forms and dealing with the auto repair place and rental car place. It's been off and on after that. Now 18 months have passed. I'm happy that DH wasn't badly injured, but this girl's negligence disrupted our otherwise quiet Senior lives far beyond the day of the accident.

Anyone have experience or advice?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions