Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can a credit score change 13 points in 2 days?

Posted by susans02 (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 13:43

We ran my DH's credit score/report on Friday through Equifax (we're trying to secure a Home Equity Loan and wanted to know the score for percentage reasons). Today we got a letter from one of the banks we called about a loan - they are required by The Fair Credit Reporting Act to tell us the info they received. THe score they were given is 13 points less than the score we got via Equifax? How is that - DH has good credit on both - but still....how can the score be so far off? We ran our Equifax report on May 13, they ran theirs on May 11.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can a credit score change 13 points in 2 days?

Different reporting agencies will give you difference scores. 13 points isn't much different.

o

Thanks - I thought a the score stayed the same regardless. We've been approved and the score they got was higher than the Equifax score - go figure! The difference in score confused me. Thanks!

o

When you apply for a big loan, not only do they pull standard credit scores from each company, but if there's ANY question, they "update" it by calling current creditors to make sure the info is UTD. I think a change of less than 20 points is negligible. Congrats on the loan.

o

Each credit agency using different scoring mechanisms and all call them something different. Some are out of 850, some out of 900, etc. Differences of 13 points are negligble (though I still love it when my score is a few points higher than DH's... :)

Also, if you are at the end of a credit card cycle and owe, say $2000 for the month, but usually pay that off every month, depending on when the report is run it will show either that you own $0 or that you owe a high balance. Depending on how much open credit you have, that can change your ratios slightly and drop your score some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here