Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Economic Stimulus Plan Question

Posted by snvanvl (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 13:03

My husband and I file joint on our taxes and have 5 children. Our income last year was 89,960 before any deductions were taken out. We received our stimulus money last Friday and it was $2100 but we thought it would be $2700 ($600 per adult and $300 per child). The only thing I can come up with is the way our child tax credit is listed on our tax forms. 2 of our children are adopted internationally but are US citizens and have valid SS #'s. On our taxes our adoption tax credit is listed under our credits and therefore wipes out our complete tax liability and our child tax credit is actually listed down lower as and additional child tax credit (it would usually be on line 52 but it is listed on line 68).

Does anybody know if I can call somewhere for them to correct this and give me my extra $600?

Or does someone have some insight that I don't have and I did get the correct amount?

Christy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Economic Stimulus Plan Question

$300 per adult and $300 per qualifying child.

o

No, it's $600 for each eligible adult. This is what it says on the IRS site:

"Eligible people will receive up to $600 ($1,200 for married couples), and parents will receive an additional $300 for each eligible child younger than 17."

Are any of your children over 17?

o

But what I understand -- you can not get more than you paid in. So maybe your tax liability was under $2700? It is a rebate, not merely a gift.

Cathy

o

All of our children are under the age of 10.

Our tax liability was just over $3200 this past year but like I said our adoption tax credit wiped it away. The stimulus according to the letter we got in the mail today the amount of the stimulus payment is $1200 or your 2007 net income tax liability,whichever is less. And then it proceeds to say your Net Income Liabilty is your tax before any credits.

We did get $300.00 per child but we only got $600.00 for us according to the letter we got today.

o

we got $22.55

o

What harriet copied says "UP TO $600 per adult". I don't read that as saying it's a guaranteed $600 per adult.

o

We finally talked to our tax person. Due to our adoption credit (which is considered a non-refundable credit) we were only allowed the $300 per adult. If it were not for our adoption credit we would have gotten the max of $600 because our tax liabilty was more than $1200.00.

Christy

o

We got nothing.

That's too bad, snvanvl. I don't think it should have had to come out that way for your family.

o

Here is the sad disgusting part of the rebate.....Most of it will be sent to China. I need a new AC and all of them were from China.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here