Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is your DH a sucker for all the money scams?

Posted by liketolearn (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 03 at 12:31

Here we go again... DH's friend gave our name as a referral for someone to contact! It's not the first time they have given our name (I assure you it will be the last). Thankfully I caught the call and ended it. This is not the first time this friend has gotten involved in one of these money loosing schemes and he just never seems to learn (DH is a slow learner but at least he's not any poorer).

The internet is great for getting information to support my "NO" decision. I have been able (or maybe just lucky) to be able to convince DH each time before spending any money that it wasn't worth it. This time the pitch is for UCC Total Home which is a "buying club". An internet search details lots of complaints from customers and warnings issued by journalists and TV clips. Dodged another bullet ...

So anyone else have a DH/DW or friend who's always falling for these schemes/scams?
What happened or were you able to dodge the bullet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is your DH a sucker for all the money scams?

I am lucky so far--my husband is really alert to these scams and it is so easy to get talked into something. Everyone makes it sound like you get all these extras for next to nothing. I almost got caught in a magazine deal, but was able to get out of it because I wrote a letter canceling it sent it certified mail return receip and then put in a complaint with the attorney general's office. This state is real good with helping people out. They have a 3 day waiting period and that really helps.
Marie

o

Not the $$ making scams, usually, but my DH is prone to watching late night tv (read - INFOMERCIALS!) Fortunately, usually he writes down the # for me to call, then I either forget to call or lose the #!! :-)

o

Hello again, all,

If even a few (one?) of these guys were in some great business making the $10,000./month that some claim ...

... do you figure that they'd be fishing on the internet to get some poor sucker to follow their worm?

... or hiring a bodyguard to keep the neighbours from battering their door down to find out how they were doing it?

Good wishes to everyone for a (legitimately) prosperous future,

joyful guy

o

My dh got sucked into selling insurance to self-employeds. This was a nationally known company. He worked incredibly hard and lost money for three years running. If the IRS didn't have a limit on how many years you could lose money he'd probably still be at it.

We are still digging out of the hole.

o

Sylvia, I think there is a five year limit. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here