Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tax reduction with charitable donations

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 11:42

Is there a quick way to computer the following?

For someone in, say, a 25 percent tax bracket, how much would you have to give an eligible charity in donations (items, not cash) to reduce your federal income tax by $300?

I understand that the items are not worth their full value when donated, and I know how to go about determining their value.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tax reduction with charitable donations

Find your taxable income without the deduction in the table in the 1040 booklet. Then find the tax amount in the chart that's $300.00 less and the income amount will be next to that.

For example, say your taxable income (before the deduction) is $45,200.00. The tax on that amount (for a single person) is $7,730.00. Your want to reduce your tax by $300.00 to $7,430.00. You'd have to reduce your taxable income by at least $1,150.00, to $44,050.00.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 Tax Table

o
RE: Correction to above

I need to correct the last sentence to read:
You'd have to reduce your taxable income by at least $1,151.00, to $44,049.00.

o

So that means that charitable deductions are fully deducted from income: if my taxable income is $50,000 and I donate items worth $1,000, then my taxable income is now $49,000?

I thought only a percentage of charitable giving was tax deductable.

o

I think mona was referring to MONEY donated... not things.

o

I was referring to money or things. Yes, the deductions reduce your income dollar for dollar. There are limits explained in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charitable contributions - limits on deductions

o

In Canada, if I donate a stock certificate to a charity, I get a charitable receipt for the full amount of the value of the stock.

Plus ... I pay no tax on the capital gain that had been developed!

I like them apples!

ole joyful

o

Unless Congress changes tax law, you must itemize to be able to claim any charitable contributions.

o

Aye, that's the rub. Unless your other deductions exceed $10,000 (10,500?) for a couple, then the charitable contributions have no impact on your taxes.

I'm ineligible for the mortgage interest deduction because it's not enough. All my deducitons together only add up to ~$8,000. So, standard deduction it is.

Medical costs are only deductible once they exceed 7.5% of your income. IIRC everything else is dollar-for-dollar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here