SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenj_gw

Unemployment Law experts???

ellenj
14 years ago

I work at a large private University (non profit). I am a 10 month, hourly worker meaning I am off summers from June 15 to Aug 15.

Am I eligible for unemployment compensation during that time?

I tried calling our local office but the wait time was 20 minutes then I got disconnected. I would prefer to have an educated answer prior to contacting my human resources dept.

This is what I found online but don't know if it specifically applies to me.

"Reasonable Assurance for School Employees

On January 4, 2003, Title 34 of the Pennsylvania Code was amended to include Section 65.161, Reasonable Assurance. The regulation supplies criteria that must be applied to determine if an employee of a public or non-profit educational institution has a reasonable assurance of performing services after a school break.

Section 402.1 of the Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation Law provides that a school employee is ineligible for benefits for any week that commences during a regularly scheduled school break if the employee performed services in the academic period before the break and has a "reasonable assurance" of performing services in the academic period after the break.

Pursuant to Section 65.161 of the regulations, a school employee will have reasonable assurance only if the educational institution gives the employee a bona fide offer of employment for the second academic period and the economic terms and conditions of the employment offered for the second academic period are not substantially less than the terms and conditions of the employee's employment in the first academic period. The regulation also provides that an offer of employment is not bona fide if the educational institution does not control the circumstances under which the employee would be employed and cannot provide evidence that the employee or similarly situated employees normally perform services in the second academic period."

I will be back on Aug 15, meaning I do have a bona fide offer.

I am not salaried. We have dining services workers, who are not University employees, that are laid off for the summer months and they are able to collect. I believe I am different because I am a school employee.

I could really use the money (or any money) during the summer. My husband lost his job in February. He found another in May but for 30,000 less. That was a huge hit.

Finding someone who will hire me for 2 months is beginning to look impossible. I have been looking since early spring.

Help!

Comments (6)