Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1031 Inheritance Question

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 10:34

Cheapskate me, still asking for freebie information on this:

When one inherits a 1031 property does the value of the property cease to be the original tax base? Does the value re-adjust to value at date of death of the owner (like it does when Junior inherits Pop's house)?

I find that a bit too good to be true. I'm asking because we own a 1031 property with a miniscule tax base that will eventually go to our DS.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1031 Inheritance Question

That's the way I read it. The basis of inherited property is established as the FMV (Full Market Value) of the property at the date of the decedent's death. There are exceptions for conservation easements and real property used in farming or a 'closely held business' and you'll probably need to get professional guidance there.
Don't forget, the FMV at time of decedant's death is also used for calculating estate and inheritance taxes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here