Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MSNBC article Growing deficits threaten pensions

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 08 at 8:25

FYI interesting reading on state accounting, state pensions etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSNBC article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MSNBC article Growing deficits threaten pensions

Thanks Mary. This was timely. We just received our RE tax bill and I noticed hefty increases for each department's pension fund. (20% increases!) Could be some cities are honest -- or that employees have demanded better funding at the local level.

I was especially taken by Buffett's comments on the foolishness of assuming any investment will pay 7.5% to 8.5% per year when the Dow average over the whole 20th Century was 5.3%.

o

And this doesn't touch on the issue of unfunded retirement health benefits, which is in even worse shape in most counties.

OTOH, CalPERS, the pension fund of CA state employees (county and city participation is voluntary, BTW, so not all state employees belong to it), is well run and even better invested. Their reward for this? Twice in the last 15 years, the State Legislature has raided the PERS funds to balance their state budgets, taking out the "excess profits"!

o

In the private sector, I think employees have almost come to expect that things like this may happen to their traditional pensions. Some are even worried that social security won't be around for them when they retire. We all need to do a better job saving for ourselves.

But I'm shocked that the benefits of our public servants may now be in jeopardy. What a recipe for disaster.

Did Mr. Buffet suggest a solution to any of this? Whatever we need to do, we need to start doing it soon.

o

Yes you all need to start smoking again so we can cut 5-10 years off your payments......Seriously we underestimated how many people stopped smoking and will collect pensions for 5-10+ years longer then the actuaries told them to put in... hence bankruptcy or lowered benefits say you get 85-90%.

Just the unintended consequences of all the anti smoking campaigns

-------------------------
But I'm shocked that the benefits of our public servants may now be in jeopardy. What a recipe for disaster.

Did Mr. Buffet suggest a solution to any of this? Whatever we need to do, we need to start doing it soon.

o

Not a big surprise, really. In my state, many years ago, a governor dipped into the state pension funds. State employees pensions here, have been in jeopardy for many years--they're just hanging on by a thread. I have several friends and family who are state workers and their concern about their retirement goes back long before our current economic woes.

o

The Fed is always trying to borrow against and get into Fed Govt TSP money. Not even sure if its happened or not:( So many things to try to stay on top of. Not that I'd be able to change the decision anyway I suppose.

o

Mary, it has happened, but the Fed (as in Federal Reserve) has nothing to do with that; it is the President and the Treasury Dept. that authorizes that to happen. If you're interested, I'll explain the hows and whys, but suffice it to say, that no federal employee has ever lost a cent when that happens. The money is replaced with interest by Treasury.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here