SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jea2007

looking for some opinions re refi and credit debt

jea2007
12 years ago

A little back story for the last 4-5 years my life has undergone a large makeover. My marriage dissolved resulting in a divorce last year. I returned to school and graduated in 2010, it has taken me until now to get a job.

I have been living off child support, alimony while it lasted, student loans and unfortunately credit. I have managed to hold onto my house and my car while getting up there is paid in full.

I am starting a well paying job next Monday. I have started to look into refi on my house, need to get the x off the mortgage and deed. My bank has indicated that it looks pretty likely that I can do a one time modification to remove my x without a complete refi, this is good as I can afford my current payment and have a fairly good interest rate 5.25% on a 30 year fixed with local service. I also have a HELOC from our original conversion from construction to permanent mortgage. That was done because at the time we were carrying 2 mortgages and needed that to cover down payment until the first house sold.

Long story short, house never sold and actually he moved back into that house.

So I have okay credit, few late payments but only one on HELOC and not past 30 days. I have some rather large credit card debts. 7K on one with a max of 8K and 17K on another with a max of 21K.

I received a cash payment from my X of 7900 due to me for his car value. My questions are what would be better for my credit picture, pay down the credit cards, or the HELOC. And which is more likely to help with my refi/modification.

I feel kind of like it should go on the HELOC, but don't like those high balances either.

I will need a different car some time this year, but not until the house is taken car of.

My bank said my income will qualify me for my mortgage without problems, but my credit may bump my interest if I have to totally refi, plus refi costs a couple thousand verses a couple hundred.

He suggested we could sit on the HELOC for a bit as long as x is okay with that, which I believe he is, and redo that in a while.

I'm really torn as to where I should put that money. I am tempted to put it on the HELOC until the adjustment goes though, and then take it back out and pay down the credit.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those who are better at this, I've never really had to make these decisions.

Thanks

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions