SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

What to do about disgruntled heir?

jockewing
13 years ago

My grandmother just died. She left me, her grandson, her home, her household possesions, and her car. She also left me 2/3 of her accounts and 2/3 of her investment account. My brother received 1/3 of the accounts and 1/3 of the investment account. His daughter also received an investment account with a balance of about $50,000.

When informed of the contents of the will, my brother has accused me of making my grandmother write her will this way and he thinks that I should just give him part of my share. I had a much closer relationship with my grandmother. I was always there for her and took care of her. My brother was given $39,000 by my grandmother a few years ago to buy the house he was renting, and instead of doing that, he just spent the money on whatever he wanted and didn't even apologize to her for basically steal almost $40,000 from her.

The point is, my grandmother decided exactly what she wanted to do and was of totally sound mind (lived to be 90 living alone and tending to virtually all of her affairs and still driving) and there was no undue influence exercised by myself over her. I was appointed the independent administrator, and the lawyer told me everything should be wrapped up within 6 weeks as there were no debts and the assets were all named and divided in her will as she wished.

How do I deal with this brother? He is still getting nearly $150,000 and his daughter is getting $50,000. I know if the situation was reversed he would laugh if I asked him to just give me something specifically left to him. A relative I spoke with suggested just not speaking with him, carrying out the will and letting him communicate with the lawyer. His own wife even told me his is just acting like a brat. It's bad enough that I just lost the most important person in the world to me, now I have to deal with this garbage.

Any thoughts?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions