Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lot as a down payment for new home build

Posted by TravisinHV (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 23:38

We purchased a lot recently for $75,000 cash, however the cash was paid by my parents since we have a high income but are paying off a business that i am buying from my parents so cash flow is very poor until the end of the year. We figured if they paid cash for the lot we could use that as the down payment for the new home($360,000-$425,000 build price) and not have to save up $60,000 for a down payment with reserves. With prices in our area drastically rising on home building and lots raising in price like crazy it was a great decision to buy the lot but now we need to know how long we have to wait until we can go to the bank and get a new construction loan without them asking how we paid for the lot?

One bank I talked to does 90% LTV loans so if the house + lot is $500,000 once completed the lot(which is now comping out at around $100,000) is just about 20% down. But I can't ask them how long I need to wait because then it might raise red flags and we won't get our loan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lot as a down payment for new home build

Did you try the Building A Home Forum?

o

We used the lot we bought as the down payment and nobody asked or cared how we paid for it. As long as it was paid for. The bank didn't care if somebody else bought it for us and gave it to us or we bought it ourselves. As long as the value of the lot covers what's needed to proceed with the loan.

o

Your parents gave you a loan for the lot? Or they bought the lot and gifted it to you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here