Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Special needs trust? How to hold a rental...

Posted by zanna3 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 10, 06 at 21:07

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question; if not, please let me know.

My adult daughter has a physical disability (similar to lupus or MS). She works and supports herself, except for medical expenses. Her monthly medical expenses are several times her income, and are covered in part by the Oregon Health Plan (OHP). To help her with the medical that isn't covered by OHP, I give her the income from a rental house I own.

I'd like to simplify this situation (and my accounting chores) by getting myself out of the loop. I'd love to just give the house to my daughter, but OHP would then consider the rent money as *income* to her, not assistance with medical bills as it is now.

I have arranged that after my death, a share of my assets will go into a special needs trust, the funds in which can then be used to help with her medical and not be considered income. But am I correct in understanding that this sort of trust can't work while I am alive? Is there something else I can do?

Thanks very much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Special needs trust? How to hold a rental...

In all sincerity, I would suggest you speak to an attorney familiar with trusts and not go on the advice of anyone on a web forum.

RE: Special needs trust? How to hold a rental...

You're going to need a lawyer. Most lawyers will give you a free or low-cost initial consulation.

The laws on these trusts vary from state to state, but usually they can be set up while the parents are alive. My brother has one for his six-year old son.

The chief problem with the trust is that your daughter may have an earning cap--she will only be able to make a certain amount of money if she also has the trust. Again, you will need to see a lawyer about this.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here