Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insurance bill I Don't Owe In Collection

Posted by fayemarie (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 20:58

I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice . I built a new home
and prior to the final closing , I needed to get my homeowner's insurance .
The day before closing the agent called to say that the premium was going
to be 2000.00 per year . I felt this was quite excessive . The agent said it was
based on a replacement value of 800,000.00 . I explained that it only cost
300 ,000.00 to build the house but they said that there is a formula they go
by and I had to buy that much . They said they checked with several companies and they were all the same . It didn't sound right but closing was the following day . So the next morning , I went in a gave them a check for the full years premium and got a binder and then went to closing .
At closing my banker saw the binder and commented that he felt we had
way overpaid and that we should shop around more . I told him what they said about having to get 800,000.00 for replacement and he said that was
completely untrue and that the bank only required enough to cover the loan .
The next day was a Saturday and we did some checking and found out we
could get 550,000.00 for 900.00 from another company so we went ahead
and purchased it . We then called the agent and told them to cancel the policy
immediately . The actual agent was'nt in because it was a Saturday but the
receptionist took a message . The following Wed . the agent called and was
extremely rude because they had discovered that we had stopped payment
on the 2k check . We explained that we did not want to have to wait for them to refund our money considering we canceled within 24 hrs . She got very nasty so I just hung up . Now 3 months later we get a collection letter for
385.00 on a policy we never received or even got a bill for . Is there anything
we can do to get this removed ? Is there anywhere we can go to file a
complaint ? Thanks for any advice you can give .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insurance bill I Don't Owe In Collection

Contact the company rather than the agent. If they will not help each state has an insurance department where complaints can be filed.

o
RE: Insurance bill I Don't Owe In Collection

You need to check and see what you signed- the policy might have a nonrefundable fee attached, depending on the company. This is most common in surplus lines insurance, who do write higher value policies.

Also, CYA- call your bank or check online and make sure they have the right carrier listed, and they know that any cancellation from the other company was what you switched from, not what you're trying to switch to. It shouldn't take long, but could save you headaches in the long run. A note that says "Borrower confirmed they switched to ABC Insurance from XYZ Insurance immediately after closing" never hurt anyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here