Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Buy has customer arrested for using $2 bills

Posted by spewey (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 19:32

Best Buy, nationally renowned for its customer service, had a customer arrested for paying for a car CD installation with $2 bills. The clerk apparently thought they were counterfeit money, and the other store staff hadn't seen them either, so they called in Baltimore County police, who also had no clue the currency existed, so poor Mike Bolesta of Baltimore was arrested and chained to a column in the county lockup with handcuffs and leg irons until a Secret Service agent showed up and confirmed the bills were indeed legal tender.

Anyone smell a lawsuit coming?

More on the story at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try a Sacajawa dollar next time...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Buy has customer arrested for using $2 bills

I hope I was correct in detecting the sarcasm in your statement that Best Buy is "nationally renowned for its customer service." Personally, I'd rather buy from some other store even if it costs a few bucks more.

o

Yes, you are very astute.

o

Het, spewey and cowboys and indians,

What are you guys talking about, sarcasm?

Doesn't every store advertise their outstanding customer service?

Don't tell me that some of them are exaggerating ... somewhat?

You guys are hurting my enjoyment of this glorious spring day!

Just ...

ole joyful

o

Best Buy jerked me too. I try to give my business to ANY other store then them.

o

I once handed a young cashier a $2 bill and a half-dollar coin. She looked at me, said "I can't accept these". I asked why not, they're legal money. She told me there's no spots for them in her cash drawer. I asked her to call over the manager, who told her it was okay. Sheesh!

o

>>She told me there's no spots for them in her cash drawer.

Okay, that made me nearly spit my diet coke at the monitor. Thanks for the laugh!!

o

$2 bills and 50 cent pieces are pretty rare in the US anymore. They don't even make $2 bills, and haven't for quite a few years. But I still have a few in my drawer just to show my son.

Believe it or not, since the Sac dollar came out I have only seen it once in circulation: I had to ask for some at the customer no-service counter. I have never gotten one as change, possibly because there's "no space for it in the cash drawer". :)

o

The only place I ever got one was the post office - I think it was as change from a stamp-vending machine.

o

I do bookkeeping for a movie theater. $2 and $0.50 come through occasionally. Seems like more $0.50 than $2 lately, though.

o

I haven't seen a $0.50 bill yet.

Chuck,

In 2004, 121,600,000 of the newest $2 bills, Series 2003, were printed bearing the signatures of John W. Snow and Rosario Marin. (Wikipedia)

o

When I cashiered back in the day, I don't remember a spot for hundreds either. We put them under the twenties.

o

On Black Thursday, a woman gave me 17 one dollar coins, but identified the woman on the gold colored pieces as Susan B. Anthony.

Did no one in the police force remember or recognise a two-dollar bill? Incredible!

o

I'm pretty certain that they still are making $2 bills. It's just that you have to ask for them at the bank.

o

gnujt,

Not up here in Canada they ain't - you'll get a coin, with lots of brass in the middle - with a nickel-looking collar around it.

You can only get an (old) $2.00 bill from a coin dealer, any more.

Have a happy weekend.

Don't take any wooden nickels.

ole joyful

o

2.00 bills are still in circulation, I'm betting it was change from the 408 Showbar in Baltimore.

o

Sorry to bring this topic back but, two days ago Best Buy wouldn't make a return for me because of where i work! Now how illigal is that?

o

Thanks Joyful, I haven't heard a reference to the loonie and the toonie for a while now

o

I was in line at Customer Service for WalMart this winter when a clerk refused a passport as ID for a serviceman trying to cash a check. (He'd just come back from serving his country overseas and his drivers license had expired).

I had to tell the clerk that a passport is the highest form of ID, even better than a state issued drivers license. He had to summon his superior because he'd never seen a passport before. Leaves you scratching your head! Oh, and Thank You for serving your country, BTW!

o

Web - what kind of place do you work at? What was the nature of the return?

o

* Posted by christine (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 17:03

Web - what kind of place do you work at? What was the nature of the return?

I work/own a video game store. Occasionally it is cheaper just to buy the game instead of ordering it and paying excessive shipping, let alone interest on the Credit Card. So I went there bought a game a customer wanted so he could use his in-store credit, he never came to get it. I went to return the still sealed game to Best Buy and they refused to return it, they said "Look at where you work and put 2 & 2 together." The manager was even so disrespectful he wouldn't even look at me while he talked to me. The manager even started to open the game so there could be absolutely no return!

However, after talking to a Custer #800 supervisor I was able to mail the item back for a gift card of all things to BB... still waiting for the card.

o

Don't hestitate to call again. I worked for them PT for awhile very recently, they are a pretty good company, but often it depends on the person you get (esp in the store).

They also keep every transaction logged if you use a credit card or reward zone card. Amazingly so. Having worked there and seen people try to fraud the company, I can imagine that if they could not find the transaction or if you had excessive returns and you didn't have a receipt why they would react that way. If that was not the case, they seemed a little overly cautious.

Not that this is right, but given the economy and that store managers do get fired for lack of performance, I can see them being strict in regards to this sort of thing.

Sorry about your experience.

o

it's OK Christine. I did have my receipt, their only true reason was they knew where I work and pretty much assumed I was scamming them. They never did attempt to answer my question of "Why would I try and scam them?"

I know people try and scam I have seen it in my store. Most recently was someone repackaged a Wii Play like it was new. The game was in there still factory sealed, but in the Wii Remote box was a block of wood encased in the Wii Remote Glove... They didn't even act shocked when I showed them...

I do have a letter that might get sent to Brian Dunn.... Still debating if I should send it or not.

This was the second time they refused a return for me, the first was a little understandable. It was a DVD box set that supposed to of had a BB exclusive DVD pack-in that wasn't there. Neither BB nor MGM claimed responsibility for the missing disc. I can handle no cash returns on open DVDs...

o

That's terrible of the store in that case. They can look up the receipt by the bar code on it to see if something has been returned on it to make sure you aren't 'scamming' them.

o

Discount stores like to make sales.

They like that to be the last that they hear of that customer ...

... regarding that sale, that is.

o j

o

I read in the paper not to long ago that they were making the $2. bill again.

o

Once upon a time I had lunch in a cafeteria and the bill was exactly $3.50. I just happened to have with me a $2 bill, a $1 coin, and a 50-cent coin, so I gave them to the cashier. She looked at the money for a few seconds, and then broke out laughing.

o

I would love to see the US mint stop printing $1 bills and issue more dollar coins. I know Canada has $1 and $2 coins. Much more durable.

o

Coins are more durable but too heavy to carry around. I prefer the paper money.

o

I just got several $1 coins as change from a parking lot machine. No one wants them, they do not fit in the coin slot of vendung machines or even my "piggy bank". Even the coin counter at the bank kicks them out!

o

I just got several $1 coins as change from a parking lot machine. No one wants them, they do not fit in the coin slot of vendung machines or even my "piggy bank". Even the coin counter at the bank kicks them out!

o

We took our first trip to Toronto in several years with friends a few years ago and when we met up for dinner I remarked that I've never seen so many outright beggars on the streets. Each with their own little signs and games. (Panhandling is illegal in NY State). Friend told me it could be very lucrative. Lucrative!? All they're getting is change. Who could survive on that? Friend laughed and explained the looneys and toonies.

I also noticed several people standing around with paper cups in their hands. I would smile, say good morning and keep walking. They seemed to have stopped for coffee before waiting for the bus. Wrong again, they were expecting more loonies and toonies. I really should get out more.

o

The Tooth Fairy can use the dollar coins! That's what she leaves for my sons, and for most of their friends! :-)

o

Dollar coins became popular here when the toll roads came in. It was easier to chunk a single coin into the bucket. Now everyone uses those RFID tags and the coins have disappeared (except for the post office vending machines).

o

Wouldn't it be better if we had like a $5.44 bill and a $16.89...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ali G on money

o

Years ago I worked for a man who took the girls in the office out to lunch on Fridays. On this particular Friday he gave the waitress the money for the check and told her to keep the change. When we got back to the office, he realized he still had the $2 dollar bill that he thought he included in payment for the check and was minus a $20. The waitress got a nice tip that day as the money he gave her was calculated for the bill plus 15%. Needless to say, he was somewhat upset.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here