SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen4268

Warning on Home Equity lines of Credit

jen4268
16 years ago

Hi-

I started a major home renovation project in Feb., and have been getting most of my great information from this site. I just felt like I had to share what happened to me this week, so that it might help someone else in my same situation.

We are very fiscally responsible people, and other than our mortgage we do not borrow money. After weighing all of our options, we decided to do a major renovation on our existing home rather than to move, and we plan to stay in our home for at least 10 years. After careful consideration, we decided to tap our Home Equity Line of Credit, which we have had on our home for over 5 years in order to pay for the project. We used it before on another project and paid it off two years ago with no issues.

We are now about 40% through our project, everything going fine. However, yesterday we got a letter from our bank telling us that they had FROZEN our home equity loan until we prove the current home value. This is not based on any specific information that homes in our area have decreased in price (they have not), but they "might" have so we have to get a new appraisal.

The issue is that we are in a catch 22- I have no doubt that when completed, our home will appraise high enough to qualify for the line of credit we have with them. The issue is that we are mid-project, and half of our home is down to the studs! That includes the kitchen and family room and bathrooms. We have the appraiser coming out tomorrow to see if he can still try to do a decent appraisal in it's current condition. In the meantime we have bills coming in from our contractor and we have to figure out a way to pay them.

If any of you are using your Home Equity Line of Credit to fund your project, please consider withdrawing the entire amount that you need for your project and putting into a savings account. That way you know it will be there- from what I understand all banks are doing this to protect themselves from bad loans, and they do not care if you have great credit and have been a good customer.

I have done some research online and now I see that some financial people have been warning about this for a few months, but I was not aware of how bad it had gotten. I had to learn the hard way :).

Comments (26)

Sponsored
More Discussions