Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinance without a job??

Posted by bons (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 13:17

Is it possible to refinance to a great interest rate without being employed, or rather, having a small self-employment income? Here's the info.

I was laid off in November from a well paying job I had been at for 15 years (100K+/year). I am currently looking for full time employment.

I also have a small business (for the past 17 years) which I average $20,000 a year gross. Plus I get a little unemployment.

I owe about $162,000. and my house is worth about $500,000.

Excellent credit. No debt (other than the house).

My current interest is 5.37 (30 year fixed). I would like to get it into the mid-4% if possible.

Can this happen without full time employment?

TIA
Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinance without a job??

Hi Bonnie,
Some quick calcs show that a $20k documentable income (that is validated by an at-least 2 year past history) is unfortunately wayyyy too low to support acceptable debt-to-income ratios for a $162,000 loan, plus taxes & insurance.

Here are your options;
A) get a job (yeah, as if it were as easy done as said, right?)
B) seek a loan modification to get the payments restructured to your real CURRENT and reliable income cashflow situation.

I suggest the latter.

Good luck on both!
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o
RE: Refinance without a job??

My knowledge regarding real estate and mortgages is somewhat sketchy ... but, for what it's worth, I agree with Dave.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here