Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bank service charge - need suggestions

Posted by tcharles53 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 13:06

It recently came to may attention when I was refinancing a loan that I had been charged a bank service fee for almost two years that should not have been. Here's the story: I was offered (in other words they solcited me) a "select service" account because of doing so much $$ business with this bank. This entitled me to no service charge for checks. Now I admit I do not balance my check book and rely on checking my checks on the phone to see what has cleared. I have however, kept all of my past bank statements. Recently when I went in to refinance, the banker offerred me the "select service" account again. I was a little confused because I thought I had it. When he cheked he stated that I did alreay have it, but the bank (person) had not linked all of my accounts so I was being charged an additional montly fee (because I needed a minimim amount of money to qualify). He refunded the current month's finance charge. I, needless to say am pretty upset. In toto there is over $500 in accrued service charges that should never have been. I have been fighting this - now up to the regional manager. Am being told that it was my responsibility to balance my check book and "catch" THEIR error. They are offerring me 6 months in back fees when I want the total 20 months worth. I am going to battle this out - however, if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bank service charge - need suggestions

learn to balance you checkbook. this is not just to catch "their" errors, but ANY unauthorized transactions. with e commerce so widespread now, all anyone needs is the routiing and account number of your account to purchase goods online. i buy stuff all the time using our corporate accounts, even though i am not an authorized signator on those accounts. in my case, i am buying things for the company, but someone could just as easily be raiding your account and you would never know it.

look how many times you overlooked the bank charges!

o

I hate balancing my checkbook too, but I've gotten into the habit of looking at the transactions hitting my account on the banks website a couple of times a week. Since I don't generally have a lot of uncleared checks, it's easy to see if the bank balance agrees with what I have in Quicken. It's also a good way to spot unauthorized transactions right away.

o

Yes - I will certainly do so in the future, however I don't think that absolves them of the right to return my money - it is not a big deal to refund money that should have never been there's in the first place.

o

i agree that they should refund the money, but they are also correct in that the fault is yours that it was not caught sooner. IMHO them offering 6 months worth of refund is more than generous.

but hey, if you can talk them into the whole amount go for it!

o

I talked them into it! It helps to take appropriate responsibility, to be calm, rational, and PERSISTENT.

o

tcharles53,

Well - you did it!

As I've said several times around here, "Ya don't ask - ya don't get!".

Also, the watchwords are, as you say, take responsibility, be calm, rational and persistent.

And know what you want.

Try to keep the ball in the other guy's court - the guy who's on the defensive has either got to get on the offensive ... or, almost certainly - lose.

Now, to celebrate ...

... you can take us all out to dinner.

Have a great week.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here