Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Equity loan for payoff question - complicated

Posted by Lor_CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 03 at 12:20

Paid cash for a house on two acres (got a good deal - private distress sale) Want to take out an equity loan for about 40K for remodel. Can get a 4.5 adjustable from my bank which makes payments only about $200 a month. Also have a small rental where the payments are 447 a month with 4 years left and income is about 550 a month. Debating on whether to take out an additional 23K to pay off this loan. I would lose the writeoffs and tax benefits of a rental but on the other hand I would get straight income that is taxable of course. My head just isn't working and I can't decide if this would make sense financially. Any opinions? Or is there someone specific I can call to figure this out for me? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Equity loan for payoff question - complicated

Hi Lor,

I'm assuming the free & clear house is your residence now,yes?

If so, each dollar of interest paid on the cashout refi (up to $100k) is tax deductible, but only to the percentage of your aggregate income tax bracket.

Each dollar of interest you pay on the rental property is tax deductible 100%... since it's taken OFF the revenues BEFORE taxes.

So, my question;
What's driving you to pay off the rental? The reduction in interest rate (I'm assuming that's it) would have to provide you equal or greater savings than the loss to you of the greater tax benefits.

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Just some mortgage guy ;~)

o
RE: Equity loan for payoff question - complicated

"What's driving you to pay off the rental? The reduction in interest rate (I'm assuming that's it) would have to provide you equal or greater savings than the loss to you of the greater tax benefits"

Answer: OK, I got divorced and my husbands name is still on the mortgage loan of the rental which is really bugging me. I moved and don't even want him to know my new address which will eventually show up. I also thought since I have only 4 years left on the loan it is mostly principal so the write offs aren't that great anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here