Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Rogue Accountant

Posted by vonrouge (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 04 at 11:52

Does anyone know of a regulating board or committee that mediates complaints about accountants? I'm in NY.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Rogue Accountant

You might try calling the attorney general for the state of NY, and they should redirect your call, or be able to give you advice. Most accountants do have to take some type of test to become certified, so you might also check in the phone book under the state offices. Just call around and I am sure you will find the help you need.

RE: Rogue Accountant

If a profession requires certification, each year the state issues that certificate (for a fee). Usually, the certificate is legally required to be displayed in clear view at the place of business. In MI, we can go the Michigan Dept. of Consumer and Industry Services and see the current standing of members of many professions online. For builders, you can see if there are and disputes, for medical professions you can see if there have been sanctions. Find the name of the licensing board in your state and you have found the place to complain. And maybe you can check and see if this accountant is certified and has any complaints or sanctions.

RE: Rogue Accountant

You did not say whether he is an accountant or if he is a CPA (Certified Public Accountant). There is a big difference. Basically anyone with a 2 year associate degree can be an accountant, a CPA is minimum of a bachelors degree and a Masters in most states and passing the exam and a 2 year internship. DH is a CPA in Texas and the Texas CPA board seriously examines any complaint that comes through the door. I would complain to the NJ CPA board if the guy is a CPA there.
You can check the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) web site and see if they can give you some advice. There web site is
It is unfortunate, but there are lame ducks in every field, so if the person is a CPA, you probably have some recourse, but if not, and there are no State guidelines on who can call themselves an accountant, you may have to talk to a lawyer.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here