SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33_gw

How to handle irresponsible parents debt

nadine33
15 years ago

I guess I'm writing here for advice on what to do about my mothers debt problems. To keep things short, she's in massive debt and wants me to bail her out yet again. She's made very bad choices in the past and when I talk to her about it she gets mad and hangs up on me. She recently re-married (my parents divorced about 15 years ago) to a man who isn't employed and who's been in alcohol rehab 3 times the past 2-3 years. She came up with $$ to pay for a wedding even though she was begging me for money before that. Right now she has creditors calling her and me (trying to find out how to contact her). She just got her first court summons from the creditors and wants me to give her $2000 to declare bankruptcy. I just bought her $600 worth of plane tix last month so she can go to my brothers wedding. I am married and have 2 young kids. We don't have a lot of savings, but more then anything I'm tired of her ways. SHe's had a failing business for years now and took out $25k out of her house to pay for her company which is also basically bankrupt. My mom took care of me as a kid, helped me as a young adult and so I have torn feelings about helping her. I know she would give me her last dime if I needed it, and yet I feel like if I try and give her $$ I'm only fueling her poor choices. Has anyone been in a similar predicament? I gave her a few hundred dollars last year to help her out, and also sent my brother some money because he had his entire household robbed. We have not even begun saving for our own kids college education and I'm not thrilled with what we do have in savings in case either of us lost our job. Our house is small and needs updating. Daycare is very expensive here and my kids are 2 and 4 years old. Do I really turn my back on my mom? But what do I do when she won't listen? (example..I cut grocery coupons every week,and she still owns 2 valuble antique chairs and wouldn't consider selling them).

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions