SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
behaviorkelton

'Your Money or Your Life' - anyone read it?

behaviorkelton
16 years ago

I think it was the very early 90's or late 80's when I saw Donahue interviewing the authors of this book.

I read mostly the philosophical parts of it. The parts where they clarify the meaning of money and what it represents. As I recall, it represents a kind of token: units of exchange that you receive for your own life energy. "Energy" might not be the right word, but it is the kind of thing that you can never get back!

This book greatly assisted me in avoiding the scenarios that seem to have snared many of my peers right out of college. Specifically...

1. You get your first real job.

2. You immediately buy very nice things: brand new car...and then stuff

This book gave me the strength to keep and maintain my homely vehicle that I used in college (older toyota pickup)...even after starting work.

It made me think a bit more before succumbing to expensive seductions.

Most of all, it instilled a kind of pride in myself. Proud that I was able to "rise above" the urges that keep many of us in a state of permanent and severe indentured servitude.

What it instilled was a kind of internal conversation. The conversation included bits of typical financial advice, but also a kind of pep talk that you might hear before a football game. "dig down! find your strength! You don't have to be one of the sheep!".

(well, not exactly like that, but similar!)

The book had extensive financial advice about investing in treasuries, but I didn't bother with that. I don't think that the finance part was nearly as illuminating as the philosophical parts.

I think the book still has a cult following.

It would be an excellent book for soon-to-graduate students.

Has anyone read the book? Are there any books that may be similar but perhaps more current?

Kelton

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions