SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruffian1_gw

Healthcare expenses

ruffian1
14 years ago

Healthcare has been on my mind lately. First, there was the buzz about how Americans are getting less for their healthcare $ than other countries. No kidding. If I start with a better product (ie. a healthier person), I will end up with a better product even if I spend less money. Then, all of that buzz stopped abruptly. Then I have been reading so many posts about job losses and medical expenses, and inability to pay for insurance or medical care/needs.

No one ever says that they want to pay more for healthcare - only less. I was wondering what people thought was a fair amount. A percentage of pay? A fixed dollar amount? Based on age? And assuming that all deadbeats can be thrown out of the pool, how much are you willing to pay for the people who can't? No matter which system we use, it will still cost money. IMHO, national vs private healthcare is like cavorting with the devil you know, vs the one you don't. While I was trying in vain to come up with population demographics vs. healthcare expendetures to arrive at some magical number, it hit me. I feel like Pollyanna. It doesn't matter what is fair, it doesn't matter how much you can or are willing to pay - it's about how much they can squeeze you for. With roughly 20% GDP being spent on healthcare, that's a huge pot of gold. There are lots of winners in that game. The politicians are acting serious about reform because with the number of uninsured growing, it is very likely to garner them added job security (aka votes).

Whatever the outcome of our current healthcare crisis, I feel as though the consumer is just a pawn in this big ugly game. Thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions