Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FHA appraisal

Posted by mbaldwin (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 10:45

We recently had our house appraised for an FHA loan. I was a little mad at the banker when I found out it was an FHA loan he was trying to get for us, because our credit is better then that, and it just did not make sense on a 100 year old house. The one thing I am in disagreement with on the bank is about our sidewalk. they said it needs replaced before we can close. Now everything I can find indicates that the FHA no longer requires sidewalks to be replaced. It is not perfect, but it is better then a lot in town. There is no missing chunks, just some cracks and raised areas here and there. Am I stuck replacing it if I want the loan, or is there some FHA official information I can send my banker that states that the FHA does not require sidewalks to be replaced? Or do I just count my appraisal fee is a lesson and banks, and look for a different bank and specify no FHA.

Thanks,
Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FHA appraisal

Can't you get a conventional loan via this bank? Why do you have to start over elsewhere?

o
RE: FHA appraisal

All loans have around the same minimum credit requirements, so I wouldn't get offended by that. FHA is nice when the buyer doesn't have a lot of money to put down on a home... maybe that's why your banker set you in that direction?

Anyway, a broker can do a great job of getting the loan package that works best for you and for the home you want. If you're thinking about switching, I'd look into a broker if you're not well versed yourself. AND I wouldn't completely discount FHA right away either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here