SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stellar1_gw

General Debt Question

stellar1
18 years ago

Hello,

I have been lurking on here for a while and wanted to ask a few general questions. My husband works for an autmotive company and we are recovering financially from a 2 year lay-off still. We were lucky, despite deciding "Hey we are laid off let's have a baby!" we survived pretty well. A lot of his co-workers were living off the unlimited overtime and lost everything, house, car etc. and had to file bankruptcy. We survived by always buying less then we can afford, but when you go from making $28.00 per hour to $9.00 you take a hit regardless of your situation.

We have a few debts that I would like to get paid off as soon as possible. We have a loan payment and 1 credit card that is higher then I would like it to be (I want it to be zero!). I would like to meet with someone to tell me that best way to do this. I don't want to do debt consolidiation, that is totally not necessary in our case. All payments are being made on time but I am making minimum payments on the credit card due to the minimum payment increases and I know this is not going to get us anywhere soon. I have contacted another company about transfering the balance to a zero interest card but have not heard anything back yet. I want someone to counsel us as to the best and quickest possible way to pay these off. I would really like to be home with my baby who is turning 2 today and we really need to get on the right road to retirement saving. (We do have a Roth and 401K but I am paranoid about the future!) Any advice or website that can you direct me to would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus
More Discussions