Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unauthorized charge on a debit card

Posted by gmp3 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 23:17

I had a birthday party for my husband at a resturant. I noticed they did not put some of the food I ordered out, but there was plenty of food, so I didn't make a big deal out of it as we were busy celebrating, and the catering manager I was dealing with wasn't there. I requested that I be asked if additional food was put out up to a certain amount, and I was never asked. At the end of the evening, the bartender gave me a billl for the drinks which I paid with my debit card. I asked about the catering charges and she said I would be billed. Yesterday I got an email with a lump sum, no breakout of the charges, tax or gratuity, so I emailed back indicating one of the items worth about 100 was not served, and that I'd like an itemized bill, as the amount seemed high.

I was in business meetings today and when I returned home I noted I had no email arrived from the catering manager, but that they debited the account I used to pay for the bar bill the full amount of the invoice. I never authorized this, nor did they ask for a card before the party.

This seems unethical and possibly illegal. what should I do. I intend to pay for what was s served, but not for food plus a tip on food that was not served.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unauthorized charge on a debit card

Keep contacting the catering manager, and suggest that you come in and sit down with her and go over the charges.

FWIW, I would use a credit card for such transactions. Does your bank allow you to contest charges on your debit card the way you can with a credit card? Keep the money in your account longer, at least until you see the bill, then pay off the credit card bill in full when it comes.

o

I agree sushipup! This is just another reason why I refuse to even have a debit card.

o

Thanks,

She contacted me today and took the charges I disagreed with off the bill. I told her the policy of charging without an approval was insane, and she claimed she'd talk to the accounting people.

I was actually planning to use my AmEx to get miles for this transaction, but decided I wanted to minimize the fight and just focus on how much my husband appreciated the party.

o

Call the Better Business Bureau. I had a prolonged problem with a mover damaging a piece of furniture and boy did I get a reaction. Problem was solved in a hurry.

o

NO need to call the BBB... the OP said the issue is resolved in the post above yours.

o

One reason to use a charge account card and NOT a debit card. Just for future reference, get everything (or as much as you can) in writing ahead of time. If they email you stuff, print it out, with names, time etc. Also tell them that no bills will be paid without an itemized statement first. That is the way DH handles these events, and he did many before he retired.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here